Saturday, August 4, 2007

Gave the new

FX show, Damages, a looksee this afternoon.

I was figuring it was a can't miss: Glenn Close as a flinty, take-no-prisoners lawyer, Ted Danson playing the CEO of a firm that financially imploded, leaving former employees broke a la Ken Lay/Enron, and Zeljko Ivanek as his lawyer (sort of John Malkovich-lite. Loved him ever since he played DA Danvers on Homicide).

Except, not so much. Spoiler Alert! if you've TiVoed/DVR'd it-stop reading now: There's a character who is key to Glenn Close's lawsuit against Ted Danson, but she won't roll over. Until she finds her puppy dead in her kitchen. Turns out Glenn's character had it done.

First of all, I don't do dead or mistreated pets (turned off Will Farrell's 'Anchorman after the totally not funny scene where Jack Black kicks the dog off the bridge-seriously, wtf? I'd have been kicking Jack Black's ass off that bridge) and second of all, way to ruin Glenn's character right off the bat. She can't win unless she's all underhanded and cold, evil bitch and crap like that? Lazy, lazy, lazy writing & plotting.

2 comments:

RisibleGirl said...

Thanks for the heads up on the show. I've never heard of it, but it sounds great.

Gotta set it up on the DVR!

Jennifer said...

I normally would agree with you on the distasteful factor. But I can't help myself. I LOVE this show. It's taut and twisty and twisted and ... yeah, though. I can't quite figure out why they had HER victimize the dog. And in the first episode? Do they not want her to garner any empathy at all?