Friday, July 18, 2008

Mamma Mia

What a sweet, sunny, fun movie. Everyone seems to be having the best time. It also has some touching moments that made me kind of misty. And the sheer, joyous abandon of the (mostly middle-aged) women in the first big set piece set to 'Dancing Queen' makes you want to get up and shake a booty with them.

It's always refreshing to me to see stars who have aged naturally, albeit well. Pierce Brosnan certainly fits this description. And the always luminous Meryl Street.

Which makes folks like Christine Baranski, whose eyes look a little wonky in this film, gotta tell ya, stick out like a sore thumb. And by stick I mean, girlfriend, please, eat a carb. Hell, go wild, eat two.

I will warn you that Pierce really can't sing a lick. But the fact that he just jumps in there and does it with a sense of joy makes it all right. The other two male leads, Colin Firth and Stellan Skarsgard, won't be signing any recording contracts either, methinks.

But who cares. It's freakin' Pierce, Colin, and Stellan. I wouldn't turn down any of them.

2 comments:

100 Thoughts of Love said...

I heard it was good...so far everyone who has seen it has enjoyed it..Now, how to convince others to see that instead of Batman!

Phyllis S said...

The Dark Knight is on my agenda, too. But this weekend I wanted something fun. This surely fit the bill.